Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Day 3: Another Mother Runner podcast

I love podcasts. I listen to them when I'm cleaning, cooking, doing more repetitive work tasks, running...you name it. I always get excited when I find a new one to listen to. Yesterday I started listening to Another Mother Runner podcast and I think you all would like it as much as I do. It's a couple of running moms talking about running and life and how running fits in to a mom's life.

They're also frequent contributers to Runner's World and other health magazines so they aren't just making stuff up. They interview experts for a living. They've also written a couple of books. I've read the first one and I enjoyed it. It's called "Run Like a Mother" in case you're interested.

Speaking of running, it may be time for me to dust off the old Garmin. Remember how yesterday I wanted to run between 7 and 8? I did the first part of my run with a friend and then tacked on an extra loop that I guessed would get me the distance. When I mapped the run later I found that it was 8.3 miles. Not too bad. My hamstrings are aching today though.

I did Ripped in 30 this morning. I'm already looking forward to switching up to Workout 2 next week. Week 1 is pretty basic. I find myself wishing I owned heavier weights during the 2nd circuit. I have to keep reminding myself that it's not bad to take it a little easier with the weights this week since I'm ramping my mileage back up so quickly. No run planned for today. It's a running rest day.

Lastly, you know how I was making fun of pop tarts yesterday for their "made with whole grains" label? Well, I need to backtrack just a bit. I've been craving ice cream sandwiches for weeks. I had some calories leftover at the end of the day yesterday so I figured I'd get one. I bought the "skinny cow" brand at the grocery store. The packaging has a slender cow with a measuring tape around it's waist and calls out that they're only 150 calories and 2 grams of fat.

You guys, these are not a health food. Do you know how many calories are in regular ice cream sandwiches? They range from 160 to 180. About the same as in one pop tart.

You know how much guilt I had about eating one? None. I aimed for 1800 calories yesterday. Myfitnesspal had me around 1670 including the ice cream sandwich. I think I'll be fine.

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited to check out that podcast!!! And 8.3 miles??? WOW! I am so incredibly impressed. No wonder you kick my butt at all of those cardio DVDs :) Nicely done.

    I used to buy Skinny Cows, too...and then discovered the same as you. Not much different than the real deal & to me, less satisfying. For ice cream sandwiches, I love the Kemps minis. They are only 100 calories and hit the spot! Not everything we eat has to be a health food; just most of what we eat. Some foods are "treats" and should be treated as such - - just like you did! Everything in moderation, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try those. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete