Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Sleeping (or not) and Reading

I opted out of running yesterday because I was sleepy. I took a nap during my lunch break instead. As a result I had a hard time sleeping last night so I ended up getting just a little more than 4 hours of shut-eye. Not cool! I ended the day at about 1400 calories and 105 grams of protein and zero beers even though I considered it.

Today I'll go for a short jog - maybe 20 minutes - and do my lower body strength training. I also plan on drinking lots of coffee. I love coffee so this won't be a problem. I have a work function tonight and I have no idea what will be served, but I'm planning on staying away from the inevitable free booze. I've packed a healthy lunch and snacks so I'll be able to arrive not starving.

My main goal for the next two days is to sleep at night. Friday is the relay race so I'll maybe get 3 hours of sleep that night in between running and riding around in a van. I don't know why this sort of thing is so much fun, but it is.

I'm reading an interesting book right now called Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. It's not a diet book. It's also not a "this isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle" book. It's about the history of nutrition science and the political and social forces that made the low-calorie, low-cholesterol, low-fat hypothesis become the most mainstream opinion about how to lose weight and avoid heart disease. It's a slow read, but fascinating. I recommend it. I was able to check a copy out of the library.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to hear about your relay race, Catherine!! Wishing you the best of luck (and lots of much-deserved rest when it is all over).

    ReplyDelete