Tuesday, July 3, 2012

O Motivation, Where Art Thou?

I'm not sure how this happened, but my motivation completely tanked during the last couple of days. It's bad because tomorrow I'm leaving for a family reunion in California which means the beginning of the week is my big opportunity to be in control of what I eat and how (if) I exercise .

I did Bob's Totally Ripped Core on Saturday and was sore all day Sunday. I skipped the workout Monday morning and spent the whole day until 3pm telling myself it would be ok to skip running too. Taking vacation always means more work before and after, so I worked through normal lunchtime. I was making up fitness tips for myself like "take a week off every now and then to give your body time to absorb all your good work." I was believeing these fake fitness tips.

What happened at 3pm, you ask? Josh got up to go for a run. That's right. I'm usually the one making him feel like he should exercise. This time he returned the favor. We did a moderate 4 miles. The first 3 felt like I had 50 lb weights attached to each leg. Does that mean I burned extra calories? Yeah, probably not.

This morning I woke up on my own at about 5:30 and figured I may as well workout as a gift to my future self even though I wasn't feeling it. My future self is grateful. I popped in No More Trouble Zones for the first time in maybe 5 months and it was good. It's about 45 minutes of just strength training. No cardio intervals. It was perfect for how I was feeling and really challenging although I can do all the moves now including the entire plank circuit twice without a break. Jillian comes through for me again.

I have plans to run with a faster friend this afternoon so that will be a good final push before my vacation. I won't have access to weights or anything, but I can get in some pushups and tricep dips and crunches while I'm there and I'm sure at least some walks if not a couple of runs. If I'm super on top of things I'll do Bob's yoga DVD tomorrow morning before I head to the airport. I'll be back on Sunday afternoon.

In other news, I've decided I need a motorcycle. I just finished reading Wild by Cheryl Strayed about her months-long hike on the Pacific Crest Trail and I realized I need to go on an adventure and try something new. I've researched motorcycle safety and licensing classes and the first one I have time for is the first weekend of September. I figure I'll get a year of practice under my belt and then go have some adventures next summer. I've been obsessed with this idea for two days.

2 comments:

  1. Girl, I feel you. Motivation has been scarce around these parts. I just ate a donut my coworker brought in to the office by telling myself that "It can replace my yogurt as a snack." WHAT?

    ReplyDelete