Thursday, June 7, 2012

Day 11: Busting Out the Garmin

I used a Garmin on my run yesterday just out of curiosity. These are the watches that tell you how fast and how far you're going. Mine estimates calories burned too but I never believe those things.

Anyway, turns out I haven't lost as much speed as I thought. The loop I went on was almost exactly 7.5 miles and we finished it in almost exactly an hour. That's an average 8 min mile! I didn't even feel like I was going all out or pushing it too hard. I'm very happy about this.

On the flip side, I won't be running today. I found out there's a volunteer appreciation thing in my son's class and he's in a skit so I'm using my lunch break to go see that instead. I could've gotten up even earlier to run this morning, but I had trouble sleeping last night. Exercise is important, but not as important as kids and sleep.

I did do my Ripped in 30 workout this morning, of course. I had more trouble on the first cardio segment than yesterday. This is plank jacks then mountain climbers. It's a hard combo. I felt a little more with it later on and upped my weights from 8 to 10 for the last strength portion. Abs felt easy.

Food yesterday was great. I came in just barely under 1800 cals. No candy, no booze. This is 3 days in a row and I can feel a big difference, especially in my waist. I hopped on the scale out of curiosity and its moving in the right direction. More on that this weekend.

I hope to keep up the no candy thing through the work week at least but I'm going out tonight so I may have a beer. Don't know yet. I should probably make a plan for that.

2 comments:

  1. 8 min mile over 7.5 miles?!?! Wow! That is so fantastic. Congratulations! Do you have a chest strap? I have the Forerunner 110 w/the chest strap & I am looking forward to seeing how accurate the calorie burn really is after my testing tomorrow!

    Awesome news on the sugar/booze front, too. I imagine the beer here & there won't derail you. I have certain trigger foods that lead to subsequent bad habits - - sugary treats do that to me, but the alcohol does not. So, I have to stay away from one more than the other.

    I am so impressed with your mad running skills. Keep it up! Any races in your future?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, I have 1/2 marathons the 16th and the 23rd. Then I agreed to a relay race in July. It's one of those team races where you run 3 legs and the total adds up to somewhere between 15 adn 20 miles. Yikes.

    I've used the chest strap before but I find it uncomfortable and a pain to put on so I don't use it. I've got the 305. It's super old. I don't think they make it anymore. It's like wearing a graphing calculator on your wrist. It does the job though.

    ReplyDelete