Monday, June 18, 2012

Day 22: Race Report and Dessert Report

This is a bad picture of a yummy dessert. Dark chocolate brownie with chocolate chips and vanilla bean ice cream. It was very rich and very delicous. I'm saving the rest of the brownies to give to the kids in their lunches this week and I'll pack a couple of extra in there on the day they go to their dad's house as a little Father's Day present. He's a good dad and he loves chocolate so I think he'll like these. Bonus: it will get them out of my apartment. Double bonus: I'll gesome nice ex-wife points.

Alrighty then, the race report. I had a blast. It was so fun. The day started off overcast and a little drizzly, which was perfect for running. Our group had 5 women in it. The one who organized this whole trip was running the 50 mile race that started at 6am. I got up to see her off and then went back to sleep for a bit. The half marathon and 10k both started at 9, so I had plenty of time to pack up and eat and everything ahead of time.

I expected that we would be going slow, but I don't think I really grasped the concept until we were at the start line and my friend said "so, we're going to be walking the hills, right?" You guys, this race was ALL HILLS! The first 3 miles you climb about 1000 feet and then after that it's rolling hills until the final downhill.

I was able to get her to run for about 5 minutes and then we walked the majority of the race. The views were breathtakingly gorgeous. It was absolutely lovely. I enjoyed every minute of it and I can't wait to do another trail run. My friend did a lot of complaining abou the hills, but at the end she said she loved it too.

My plan was to finish the race and then get a ride up to one of the aid stations so I could run with my 50 mile friend for the last couple of miles. Unfortunately, she fell at mile 21 and hit her knee pretty hard on a rock so she had to drop out. That sucked, but it meant I could go home earlier and I made it in time to go to a party with Josh so all was not lost.

I just checked out the official finishing times for the race. I was last in my age group at 3 hours 11 minutes. Hahahahaha! That's so awful. It's funnier because the girl I sit across from at work ran a different half marathon this weekend and finished first for women at 1 hour 25 minutes.We're setting records all over the place here.

My legs aren't too sore this morning, but my shoulders are. I was dumb and skipped the sunscreen since it was so cloudy when the race started. I got burned pretty bad. Oops. Really, wearing sunscreen would be the only thing I'd change if I were to go back and do it again. Trail run=fun!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! Fun "run" :)

    I'm glad you are such an easy-going person and that you were able to enjoy the trail experience regardless of the pace. Plus, even for walking hills, at 3 hours you still must have burned a boatload of calories, right???

    I have hills on my must-do list this week. We run up ski hills as part of the Warrior Dash. Hubby won't be able to since he has done probably 1 workout in the last month, and our goal is to stick together this time. So, I'll just try to enjoy the experience and not get hurt! Ha!

    And that brownie looks YUMMMY!!!!! *drool* :p

    ReplyDelete