Sunday, June 24, 2012

PR in the 1/2 marathon!

I'm so happy about my race yesterday. I beat my previous PR by about 7 minutes. My finishing time was 1:46:15. Even though the race started out with a moderate downhill and ended on the uphill I actually sped up consistently.

Here are my splits:
1st 5k - 8:15 pace
2nd 5k - 8:10 pace
10 mile - 8:04 pace
Last 5k - 7:58 pace
Overall average pace - 8:07

When I first started running I thought anything under 2 hours for a half marathon was unrealistic. I couldn't imagine running a single mile at an 8 minute pace. I'm not one of those special people who it seems are born with the magical athleticism gene.

I'm very proud of myself and also very sore today. It's all worth it though.

4 comments:

  1. Whoo hooo Catherine! Congratulations! That is awesome!

    Do you live in Seattle? That is my vacation destination this summer. We try to go some place cooler than here in the summer. I am going to be there July 12- 18th and am super excited. If you could recommend any non-touristy must dos, that would be awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! That is so freaking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are my HERO! Seriously, that is my ultimate goal. First, just to finish a half, second to rock the time with negative splits. WOW. Similar to your former self, the idea of finishing even in 2 hours feels unachievable to me. Your story is inspirational.

    I knew it all along. You are so strong & I look at all of the work you have been doing in addition to running. You earned this PR. Congratulations to you, super woman!! WOO HOO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is so cool! You are an inspiration to me as I am just now starting to run. I hope to one day compete in a marathon. Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete