Friday, June 1, 2012

Day 5: I Crave Variety!

The Ripped in 30 program says you should do the workouts 5 or 6 times per week. Ladies, I'm shooting for 5. I am so sick of doing the same workout every day. Week 1 is way too easy and short. It's good since I'm getting some strength training in without having it impact my running and it's been good to maintain my morning workout routine. I've heard that it's beneficial to have an "easy" week every now and then so maybe this will be good in the long run.

However, this morning when I was doing circuit two (the one where I wish I owned heavier weights because it doesn't do anything for me), I felt like I was wasting time. I know you don't have to be super sore all the time to know you're getting a good workout, but I do want to feel the burn more than I did. Circuits one and three are definitely more challenging, but they're so short!

A friend at work is doing 30 Day Shred and she said the same thing about phase 1 in that program. She switched over to phase 2 after two days. I could have done that too, I know, but it's part of my disease. I call it BRiOCD - Body Revolution induced Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I want to do the program and I'm going to do the program, dagnabit! Just the workout part of the program though. My OCD has a limit and that limit is 1200 calories per day.

Luckily there's that 5 or 6 days loophole. I'm still going to work out tomorrow, but I'll pick something else. I went on an Amazon shopping spree a couple of weeks ago and stocked up on some workout DVDs so I'll let you know tomorrow which one I do. Today will be a longer run again. Hopefully between 7 and 8 miles.

I switched it up this week with my CSA delivery. You might remember I've been getting a box of veggies delivered from a local farm once per month. It's been great, but I had a little more than I could eat in a week and I was stopping by the store a lot for fruit. I switched it up this week and got the family box. It's still a lot of produce for household of one adult and two children, but I think it will be perfect.

My first delivery arrived yesterday and included raspberries. It came in handy this morning when I was in a huge rush and needed to pack a quick breakfast - greek yogurt with a splash of vanilla extract and all the raspberries. YUM! I also threw a bunch of carrots and radishes in my lunchbox with the hummus I made yesterday so my snack is covered. So convenient. I've also started getting a dozen eggs every other week. It's my dream in life to only have to go to the store for meat, dairy and baking supplies.

4 comments:

  1. The exact same workout 5-6x/week? I think I'd go bonkers. Bleh. That was the best part about BR - 3 different workouts each week, and a switch up every 2 weeks! Maybe consider 3x/week + 2 BR strength DVDs mixed in just to add some variety (without extra cost)?

    Good luck finding the right balance & enjoy your long run tonight? What podcast will you be listening to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your OCD, but honestly the boredom would bug me more. I think you are fit enough that you could totally mix up the levels. Level 2 on Monday, 3 on Tuesday, etc. But I understand wanting to do the program exactly as is.

    That is awesome about your CSA. Fresh produce is so good. We ate at a salad bar the other day and couldn't believe what they were trying to pass off as a tomato. ZERO flavor. CSAs and Farmer's Markets all the way! I share your dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are 100% right. I need to find a way to make this work better for me. I have an idea, but I'll wait until Monday to decide for sure. The reviews say that workout 2 is a big step up so I'm hopeful.

    I ran during my lunch break. Just got back from a solid 8 iler. The first 5 I did with a friend and the last 3 were just me and my thoughts. It was nice. If I'd done the whole thing alone I would have listened to a podcast for sure though. Radiolab is another really good one if you like bizarre science.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see how it would get boring if you could do the workouts unmodified. I would hate for the workout to leave me feeling like it was a waste of time. Is there no 'Up' button you can push?? So far, after day 1 of 30DS, I can see the up button. I am doing full pushups rather than modified but I can increase the intensity if I need to. I do not get the same burn I did when I was doing BR, but it's enough. It seems working out outside of the dvd is the best way to go. Keep it up Catherine!

    ReplyDelete