Friday, June 8, 2012

Day 12: Sugar Wars

I just got back from my 10 mile run and it was goooood! I started off with two girls. One of them is the girl I leant the first phase of Body Revolution to and then she never used it. She's runs slower than I'm used to but it was fun because she's hilarious. We averaged between a 10:15 and 10:30 mile for the first 3.5 mile loop. After that, the other girl and I picked it up to about 8:30 for the next loop. We had the best conversation. I don't know her as well, but I think she's such a cool chick. That loop ended at 9 miles total including the first loop. I was considering just calling it a day and heading back in, but she encouraged me to finish out my 10 miles so I did a quick out and back by myself. That mile was about 7:40 so I finished strong.

I had to sleep last night because I've been exhausted the last couple of days. So no Rippid in 30 this morning by design. I'm going to do it tomorrow which will get me to my 5 times this week, but I kinda wanted to do Totally Ripped Core again this weekend and still have a rest day. I'll decide at the last minute if I do both or just one.

Yesterday I broke my no sugar streak (3 days in a row!) because the kids at my son's school handed cookies out to the parents who came to Volunteer Appreciation Day. I had 3. They were homemade chocolate chip and they were delicious. I went out last night and had a mojito. I read somewhere that it's a good low cal option at a bar, but it's just not as delicious as beer or a margarita. I was over 1800 calories for the day with the cookies and the mojito so that's too bad, but I'm not upset about it because I've been doing really well the rest of the week.

I'm trying to decide how I'm going to do this no sugar challenge. I could either see how long I can keep a streak going with no treats at all or I could just plan on one serving of something sweet per week. One thing I know about myself is that eating anything sweet makes me immediately crave more sweet things to the point where I can barely contain myself so staying away altogether seems smart, but there are those special occasions where sharing a treat with friends is fun and I don't want to be the sort of person who fears food. Maybe I can see how long I can keep a one serving of sweets per week plan going.

And with that in mind, here's something awesome that the 2nd runner girl sent me that is totally related and made my day: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/10/god-of-cake.html




3 comments:

  1. I freaking LOVE Hyperbole and a Half!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so funny!! Thanks for sharing.

    I, too, had a run-in with the sugar tonight. Birthday cake. That damn birthday cake was still here (which made that blog all the more funnier!)...and ice cream. I didn't fall face-first into it or anything, but I ate the 1 remaining sliver of carrot cake leaving the frosting and consumed about 4 HUGE spoonfuls of ice cream. The real thing, too, not any light junk.

    I have found a 2nd trigger food for me: peanut butter. I love Better N Peanut Butter, which does not have the same effect on me. But I allowed myself a spoonful of the real deal, which really set me off. I had been fighting the binge-monster all afternoon. It didn't win, but I may have gotten bruised in the process :)

    Let me know what you decide to do re the sugar. I was hoping to make it for an entire month, but clearly, that is not going to happen... But maybe it is OK to have that as a goal knowing there may be a few mess ups. As long as it isn't more than 1x/week or something? Who knows. My tummy hurts too much to think about it. Thankfully, my night will NOT involve rainbow spewing!! Bwahahahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once a week works great for me! And usually we go out for dessert. Sweet treat Thursday. Keeps me in check and not too obsessive! I don't want to be the person who fears food either, but I had gestational diabetes and a long family history of diabetes so it is a real concern for me.

    I hope your wedding went well. Looking forward to hearing what you think of level 3 of RI3. I didn't get that far because I wanted to body revolution, but I have read there are some 'wth' moves in that level.

    ReplyDelete