Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Day 37: workout 6-vacation edition

This one was a breeze. You only use the cable for one move and it's a bicep curl. Hello! Free weights are completely adequate, maybe better since I didn't have to mess with setting up the cable with my feet.

All the "medium" weight exercises were fine with my heavies. Maybe this means I need heavier weights but those things are expensive so not yet. The only bad one was weighted supermans but I held one 10 pounder and I'm pretty sure that just trying to lift it gave me a good burn.

Alright, now what I really want to talk about. I'm frustrated big time. I stepped on my mom's scale and it's 4 pounds heavier than mine at home. It's not just that. I ate a lot yesterday.

In yesterday's post I said that it's hard for me to eat right when I'm not totally in control of my food. Guess what. I wasn't in control of the lasagna and garlic bread that was served for dinner but I was totally in control of how much of it I ate. And of the ice cream I ate after. And of the snacks I had during the day. I need to stop pretending my food is someone else's responsibility.

It reminds me of an article I read in O magazine when I was on the elliptical last week. The gist of it was "what did you think was going to happen?" you look in the mirror and you're getting old. Yeah, that's what happens. You can't control that. But I look at my bank account and I don't have as much money as I want or I look at my body and it's softer than I want- that's something I can control. I bought the stuff. I ate the extras. What did I think was going to happen?

Obviously working out has not been a problem for me. I'm confident that I'll get my workouts in. Time for me to stop pretending that makes me exempt from having to watch my intake also. What's the use of muscles if they're hiding under flab?

And it's raining. I'm a big cranky pants. I'm going to shower up and play monopoly with my kids.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, those words could have been written by me. It seems I also shirk taking responsibility for what I eat, but I will always find the time to exercise. It helps if, when I do indulge, I fit in an extra workout or even go for a brisk walk. But that's rare, since I don't often take responsibility and so don't acknowledge the need to do more! Shake it off and get ready for tomorrow, you've had amazing progress so far. Don't let the scale get to you. You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you have got this one in the bag!! Vacations are tough, but I can pretty much guarantee that vacations never take permanently off-track unless we choose to let that happen.

    You will get to be in control of what you eat & when soon enough...and the vacation pounds will come back off (probably pretty quickly, too). I totally understand your struggle. I've been able to come up with plans that help me in every single situation - - except the one you are in right now. I crumble like a house of cards when I'm staying at someone else's house.

    I have discovered, however, that it is not so tough to get back on track. I know it isn't the advice most would give, but I say, don't worry about it so much. These are but a few days out of the year, & if you can focus 90% of the time on both exercise & food, you will rock this.

    ENJOY your time with family. ENJOY not cooking & having to be responsible for everything for a few days. And stay focused on all of the GOOD choices you are making instead of the few poor choices. Real life is coming back soon enough...

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete