Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Day 45: Oh, Jillian

I can't believe I've been doing this for 45 days. I'm either halfway there (if you're counting to 90) or a little over halfway (if you're counting to 12 weeks). Pretty nuts. I think one of the best things I've gotten through doing this program is consistency. That's what I hope to carry forward when I'm done. To 90 days (or 12 weeks) and beyond!

This morning was Cardio 2. It was fine. I'm getting kind of bored of it. I remember feeling the same way about Cardio 1 about halfway through Phase 1. After today I only have 3 more times with this DVD. I can do this 3 more times.

I got this program because 1) the workouts are 30 minutes and 2) I really liked No More Trouble Zones a lot. Jillian Michaels knows how to put together an efficient workout that gets results.

That said, she's no intellectual. I like listening to her podcast while I'm doing some of my more tedious work tasks. This week she had an doctor on the show to talk about vitamins. Keep in mind that Jillian promotes expensive vitamins.

Within the first 5 seconds she showed that she doesn't know what the word synthesize means and was not going to be able to have a rational discussion with this doctor. He cited long-term studies including large sample sizes, published in peer-reviewed journals. Jillian did a google search where she mistook an ad for a study and said something she heard had happened to her friend's uncle. It was embarrasing to listen to, especially since she kept trying to interrupt him Glen Beck style. He had some really interesting info and I wanted to hear it!

So I have kind of a love-annoyed relationship with Jillian. I am loving this program. I loved No More Trouble Zones. But I don't trust her about anything else. I don't believe that raw broccoli and strawberries are bad for dieting. I don't believe any of that metabolic typing stuff she promoted in her Master Your Metabolism book. I'm super annoyed that she hawks diet pills. Lately her podcast seems like a public ego stroke where she goes on and on about not giving herself enough credit for all the awesome things she does. 

Anyway, I know I don't have to listen to her podcast or buy her supplements. I just had to get that off my chest because I was so irritated yesterday!

4 comments:

  1. I still haven't listened to the latest podcast. I like the motivational stuff she puts out there, but I agree that all her info should be taken with a grain of salt. I do not consider strawberries cheating!! CONGRATS on making it to the half way point!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on making it halfway!

    I do like her podcasts most of the time, but I agree; she can definitely go off the rails a bit, and it's weird. I'm totally with Meghan: take it all with a grain of salt. Super annoying that she kept cutting off the Doctor, though! Why have him on if you don't want to let him talk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the podcasts too most of the time and totally look forward to them. Janice cracks me up and I was laughing so hard at Bob's fast-talking last week. I have a bee in my bonnet this week for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the exact same way! I don't trust her on some things especially the fruits and greens she says are bad for you. But she does make a killer workout. So at least she's got that going for her.

    ReplyDelete