Saturday, April 14, 2012

Day 48: weekend warrior

Cardio 2 again today. I like working out in the mornings but I can't on Saturdays. Even so, it seems like the weekend afternoons are when I'm able to jump the highest and push the hardest.

The workout flew by today and I'm toying with the idea of moving on to cardio 3 for my last week of phase 2. I started cardio 2 one workout early and it was a good choice. I'm hearing scary things about cardio 3 though. I'll decide at the last minute on Wednesday morning.

Women's Health magazine arrived in the mail yesterday. I think it's the best of the fitness mags. The first article I opened to was tips for keeping on track during the weekend. The scenarios were exactly the areas I struggle in and the ideas are actually realistic. Brittany Risher is the writer and she should be given a book contract, stat.

Here are a couple ideas I liked:

Friday night happy hour--save a bottle cap or swizzle stick from each drink as a physical reminder of how much you've had. Low calorie drinks include wine, light beer (ick), manhattan, mojito, and vodka tonic.

Holiday mentality--I'm so guilty of this one. Have a planned "cheat meal" (just one!) where you're not measuring everything. Carry snacks with you.

I don't want to cook syndrome--at restaurants order salad or broth based soup first to fill you up. Sit at a table instead if the bar so you won't see and smell as much greasy bar food and be tempted. Have a couple take out menus with healthy options handy at home.

The whole issue is good. I'm going to try the salsa recipes for sure and there was a great interview with Giada De Laurentiis including recipes. Also a good farmers market article with recipes.

Folks, the pile of recipes I want to try keeps piling up. Not a bad problem to have!

3 comments:

  1. Those are some awesome tips! Let us know if any of the recipes you've found are real winners; I love trying new things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this issue cover to cover while getting a pedicure, it is soooo good. Women's Health actually has some content as opposed to some of the other magazines out there. I really liked the article about the owner of Happy Baby- super inspiring to do what you love!! I would move on to cardio 3 if you think you're ready. I'm blogging later, but I lost 2 lbs this week and I totally think it is cardio 3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent tips!! Weekends are getting to be my toughest time for staying on track. I think I'm just pooped from the week, and want to relax!

    Congrats on blasting through Cardio 2. Do share any "keeper" recipes as you try them. I'm always looking for something good & easy.

    ReplyDelete