Monday, April 30, 2012

Day 64: I signed up for a 1/2 marathon

I have a friend who loves to run ultramarathons. Her last race was 50k. That's definitely not my thing, but I think it's really cool that she's into it. I've run two marathons before and I'll probably do it again someday, but the training commitment is just too much for me right now. I love what lifting weights does for my body and I don't want to give that up so I can plod along for 3 hours on a Saturday morning.

Anyway, this friend is running a 50 mile race on June 16th and asked a bunch of ladies we work with to come camping and running with her. I decided on the 1/2 marathon distance. I was considering just doing the 10k, but if I'm going to be driving a couple of hours I may as well just do it, right? I've got 7 weeks to train so I'll probably try to get a couple 10 to 12 mile runs in on weekends and be more consistent with my running during the week.

Did I mention the race sponsor is a winery? So that's a bonus.

Speaking of friends, that other friend who I leant phase 1 of Body Revolution to still has it sitting on her desk. Yep, didn't even bring it home. I know she's running more and eating better so I'm glad she's got that going for her. It's not like I need it anytime soon.  Still, though.

Workout 9 was this morning. I must be a sicko because I LOVE the jumping jack pushups. They're completely ridiculous and hard and I can do them all! This is my 2nd week of discs 9 and 10 and I already feel like I've been doing them forever. Usually the 2 week timespan goes by so quickly. Last week threw me for a loop.

Speaking of last week, I ate a lot of sugar. Way too much. I was so far off my game that whole week. I'm really glad it's over.  Another reason I must be a sicko - I love Mondays. It feels like a fresh start and I'm so ready for it.

2 comments:

  1. So much I want to say in response! Good for you for deciding to run. I agree, why just do 10k when you can do a half! Way to go!! I find that of my friends, those that are in the best shape are the ones that have solid mid-term goals like that (ie. training for a run that is four months away).

    Also, I'm irritated that your friend still has Ph1 on her desk. Perhaps ask for it back. I find that people don't take things as serious as things they've invested in, such as having to pay for the program themselves. She should ask for it back when she's ready. Plus it gives you the opportunity to go back and try some of those easier workouts on rest days!

    Those jumping jack pushups are sick. I honestly didn't even try them the first time at it (both sets I did military pushups), but I did try the second time I did the workout on saturday. I was surprised I could do them! Not all of them, but I could do most of them. It reminded me of the surprise I felt when I did that jog the other night.

    Hello monday. It sounds like you are ready for a rockin' week! Go get it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear about the 1/2 marathon! Yay for you!! What a fun goal to have out there, and because you have completed full marathons, it (hopefully) doesn't feel like a huge stretch. I admit that I am jealous - - it was my next running goal after doing my first (and only) 10k last summer.

    I agree about Mondays. While I always look forward to the relaxation of the weekend, I typically also look forward to the structure of the week. I have to think less in many ways, and it always does feel like a reset.

    Way to rock out workout #9, too. I am inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete