Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Day 51: morning workout pays off

I almost always do my Body Revolution workouts in the mornings. There are maybe two weekdays that I've done them in the evenings during this whole program. There are a few reasons for this, but another one popped up yesterday.

My older son's coach emailed at about noon to request the boys be to their baseball game an hour early for practice rather than 15 minutes. This meant I had to work through lunch instead of do a short run like I'd planned so I could get the boys in time to give them dinner.

When I got to the school I saw it was spelling bee night. I should have known this but I missed the memo. My younger son really wanted to do it so we rushed home, rushed dinner to the table (clam chowder for them, Annie's Thai bowl for me with half the sauce), rushed to baseball and then to the bee and then back to baseball.

I had an unpleasant interaction with my ex husband at the game that left me feeling depressed as hell. I came home, got the kids in bed and spent the rest of the evening in a funk of surprising power. I'm usually an incredibly resilient person but I was floored last night.

So there's no way I would have ever in a million years accomplished a workout if I hadn't done it in the morning yesterday. I still felt poopy this morning but I did workout 8 anyway because I want to do something right today and working out is something I can do right.

Here are some things I'm grateful for:
1. My children. They are fun, interesting, loving, and most of the time they get along great.
2. My friends. I have a small group of friends who genuinely care about me.
3. My body. I'm strong and getting stronger. I'm generally healthy.
4. My apartment. It's messy now, but I like it a lot. It's a comfortable place to come home to.
5. My job. I don't make a lot of money, but I have enough to pay all my bills, do some things that I want, and save for the future.
6. My creativity. I have a lot of creative outlets and interests including writing and music.
7. My environment. I live in a beautiful part of the country. It rains a lot here, but even then I think it's beautiful and uplifting.

Today is going to be good. I'm already running late and I'm tired, but I think it's going to be ok.

2 comments:

  1. awwwww!! I love grateful lists! It sounds like you have alot to be grateful for! I am so grateful for my small group of friends as well. They are the family you get to choose. Sorry about the interaction with your ex! Feel better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is striking such a chord with me today! I, too, love working out in the morning for that EXACT reason. And today? I slept in. I now just have this workout HANGING over my head, and I'm scrambling trying to find the time to fit it in after work. It totally sucks. Of course I WILL do it. I'm not about to break "the streak." But working out in the morning is so much better!

    ReplyDelete