Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Day 72: Wait, that's not a reward...

Do you ever feel like you're learning the same lesson over and over again? Today's obvious lesson is JUNK FOOD IS NOT A REWARD.

My interviews went great yesterday. I felt confident and  enjoyed talking to everyone. I feel like my personality meshes well with the group and my skills are in line with what they're looking for. Each interview went overtime so I had to reschedule the last one for today at noon.

Another thing that happened yesterday was that one of our hamsters died. I discovered it in the morning and had to tell the boys when I picked them up from school.

So I wanted to treat myself and I wanted to console my kids.

This is such an awful story. I'm cringing right now.

We had reverse dinner. Dessert first. Dairy Queen sundaes. But it didn't stop there. Oh no. I further wanted to treat myself by not cooking. After baseball practice I threw some broccoli and totinos pizza rolls in the oven for the kids and poured myself a glass of wine and sat down with a book. The boys weren't too impressed with the pizza rolls so I picked at their leftovers for the rest of the night. And drank more wine.

Sure, it was nice to curl up with my book and get that nice, relaxed, sleepy feeling, but it was not worth it. I went to bed at 10:30 and was wide awake at 2am. I got up and made myself a huge sandwich and finished Watership Down and wasn't back in bed until 4:30.

There was no way in heck I was going to get up at 5:30 and workout. Not a chance. I slept until 6:45 and here I am now, bloated and sleepy, but not defeated.

I've packed my lunch for today. I will do workout 12 because I always do my workouts. I'm just not sure when this will happen. I made my bed and did the dishes this morning. It's a beautiful day outside. My interview is going to be great. Neither of the boys have sports tonight so we get to spend time together. I have one less hamster cage to clean (one down, one to go!). I'm going to take some time and plan some meals tonight.

Shit togetherness = the ultimate reward. That could be a motivational poster but the picture wouldn't be very pleasant.

4 comments:

  1. I feel like I'll spend the rest of my life learning that lesson!

    The Reverse Dinner idea sounds adorable. When I was a kid my parents would sometimes do Breakfast for Dinner, but I never had Reverse Dinner before! Given that it's my TOM, I'm very tempted to try it... mmm...dessert!

    And in all seriousness, one night won't set you back. Like you said, you ALWAYS do your workouts. Today won't be the first exception. You've got this.

    And fingers crossed for the final interview! Hope you hear good news soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement. I just got back from the interview and I think it went well. She's one of those ladies who asks questions and then tells you what the answer is. Makes me laugh. I really respect her so it was a good conversation. I know they want to move fast so I should know by next week. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still love that phrase: shit-togetherness. Awesome.

    We have "backwards night" in our house once in awhile, too. Typically in means baths first, then jammies, dessert, & finally dinner. Kids love it - - and so do I!

    I am so happy to hear your interviews went well! Can't wait to hear the final call next week. Fingers are crossed for you!!

    You are going to feel like a new person tomorrow after a good night's rest and a day of eating "normal". As Kelly said, 1 day will not break anything...and you ALWAYS do your workouts. I just love how you always look for the sliver lining in things, too, Catherine. I've said it before...I have much to learn from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have those off-days and it reminds me of what I am working towards. Because they don't make you feel as good as you do when you have your stuff together. Great job on the interviews, I hope you get good news from them!

    ReplyDelete