Thursday, March 8, 2012

Day 11 - Last Day of Workout 1

A little tip from the makers of DontdowhatIdid: -- Get enough sleep!

The kids were with their dad last night so my boyfriend came over and we stayed up until 1. I got up at 5:30 and felt almost hungover. My arms are more sore than ever before. My head hurts. I honestly don't know how I slept so little in college. I have a theory that eating less magnifies the other slipups. If I have a beer I'm hammered. If I don't get at least 7 hours of sleep I'm wasted.

I did Workout 1 anyway, partly because I knew I wouldn't be able to make it up later and partly because I didn't want to let my blog down. It was harder today than it's ever been. I can usually do all the pushups military style (it's hard though), but I think I did half of each set modified. Some days showing up is a victory. Thank you Omar's abs for getting me through!

The Shrimp Laksa was really, really good. My kids would hate it because it's spicy with that red pepper in there, but I loved it. It was different enough that it felt like a special occasion meal. The boyfriend said even better than pho. That's a huge victory in my "eat out less" campaign.

Some notes about the recipe: With all the chopping it takes more than 30 minutes to prepare. I chop kind of slow, but still. Forty-five minutes is more realistic. Ingredients weren't outrageous but I made a trip to the fancy store anyway because I knew they'd have the fresh lemongrass stalks. Next time I'll just use the dried stuff I already have. I don't think it will make a difference. I didn't have turmeric so I added garam masala on a whim. It's so random what spices I have in my cupboard. It worked great. I also put in more than a cup of broccoli because I like broccoli.

I know we're not supposed to have dinner options for lunch, but I forgot to poach the chicken this morning so I'm having shrimp laksa with my vegetable soup today. Yep, that's soup with a side of soup. Noodles don't freeze well and this stuff deserves to be eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment