Sunday, March 4, 2012

Week 1 Recap and Review

Workouts: Workout 1--twice
Workout 2--twice
Cardio 1-- twice
Running--3.8 miles Monday,7.5 miles Tuesday, 3.8 miles Friday
Elliptical--63 minutes Wednesday, 25 minutes Thursday
Additional--upper body/abs Thursday

Recipes tried:
Greek yogurt with almonds--realize halfway through the week I had regular nonfat yogurt instead of Greek. This was still a fine breakfast and really quick and easy.
Vegetable soup with poached chicken--the soup was delicious. the chicken is bland but I stick it in the soup before eating to soak up some of the juices. This was also a great meal for making ahead to reheat at work during the week.
Hummus and vegetables--I think we all know how this tastes. I made my own hummus. It was good. Peppercorn steak--I overcooked it but it was still good. The tomato salad was a bit oily. I sautéed leftover salad with kale an had it for breakfast with an egg each mornin this weekend and it's really good.
Chef salad--huge! I'm eating it now. It's enormous. Takes a while to prepare and eat.

Victories:
--Stayed between 1100 and 1300 calories each day.
--Didn't take the bread at the restaurant I went to on Wednesday.
--Only ate half the portion I was given at the restaurant on Friday. I'd asked for dressing on the side and the manager said all salads were served like that. It came soaked in dressing. Half for dinner and half on Saturday for lunch with the remaining be soup was perfect.
--Lost 2 pounds!

Treats:
--1/4 Theo spicy chile chocolate bar. Yum!
--1 cake pop. This is from the birthday party last night. I had a lengthy convo with the mom about how it took her two days to make them and how she made them to look like the death star and made them out of gluten free and organic ingredients ao she thought they were healthy. They were still cake pops. Not healthy, but not huge portions and it would have been jerky to refuse. I picked a smaller one with no sprinkles. It was really good.
--one 12 oz beer --three glasses red wine

Thoughts and Observations:
You definitely get out of the workouts what you put into them. The first go round was ok, but the second time through I made myself lunge deeper, use every "challenge yourself" modification, and really pump up the intensity. I felt the burn and the burn was good.

The thing I love about Jillian is she doesn't waste my time. I notice when I do other toning videos that there's a lot of transition time. Not here. I really appreciate that. The background people are great, especially the chick with three kids. Holy Moses!

I'm going to stick with the same kickstart breakfast, lunch an snack as last week for another week. It was too easy to give up. Kind of annoyed already at being limited to the salad option for dinner at restaurants but I'm more annoyed at my jiggly midsection so I'll keep with it.

I learned that I'm a fast eater. I thought about slowing down but the intention didn't make it all the way to my hand and fork. I shovel the food in, which leads to me still feeling hungry even when my portion has been consumed. This week I've learned to trust that being hungry doesn't mean I need more food immediately. If I wait ten minutes I'll feel the effects of that food settling in.

Week 2 starts tomorrow. Bring it on!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Catherine, feel free not to answer....
    I am 5'6 and it's been forever since I was 130. I'm curious what jean size you are at 130. I honestly can't remember being 130--perhaps my freshman year in college? Anyway--just curious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depends on the brand. Gotta love the gap because I fit a size 2 there this year. That's just ridiculous. Last year was 4and the year before was 6 and I know my weight didn't change. So 2-6.

    ReplyDelete
  3. >>>>>>speechless<<<<<
    A two? A freaking two? OMG! Congrats to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only at the gap. Gotta love that store. I was asked a couple of weeks ago if I'm pregnant though. Darn tummy!

    ReplyDelete